Wednesday 20 February 2013

Personal Experience with Asus F80S


I have been using this laptop (Asus F80S) since 2008. All I can say that it is a good laptop.

Asus F80S
 Some of you might still be  using this model. When I bought it 5 years ago I was impressed with the spec.

This is just my personal review about this laptop. Just don't expect it to be a detail review like the one coming from a professional laptop reviewer.

My laptop was doing well for the first 2 years. Screen display was great and combined that with ATI Radeon HD 3470; hdmi output. Some minor complaints were just about the mediocre battery life, speaker quality and the weight which is  a little on heavy side compare to other laptops of the same size. Take note that I wouldn't comment on the software it came up with.

Asus F80S basically was equipped with amazing hardwares. Unfortunately it  also contributes to the most significant problem for this laptop - OVERHEATING.

Intel Core 2 Duo, as far as I know is designed for desktop computer. It will of course consume a lot of power and generating a lot of heat. Bear in mind that f80s also has ATI graphic card which also produces heat. I think f80s probably has some design issue. If you look at the bottom of the laptop, it doesn’t have enough ventilation to allow air coming into the laptop.

Asus F80S bottom - Not much air vents
My f80s started having trouble after about 2 years. It suddenly shut down when I was playing counter strike. Blue screen came on when I restarted the laptop. However it managed to get back to normal start up after a while. Since then my f80s did that (automatic shut down) now and then especially when the laptop is doing heavy tasks - photo editing in photoshop, lightroom or movie editing in sony vegas. (editing is not my main job, just a hobby)

I found a temporary solution to prevent it by using 'batter saving mode'. ( you can access that with the button next to on/off button). It helped to reduce the frequency of automatic shut down. 1 year later  the hard disk crashed.

After replacing the hard disk and installing windows 7 it has been working well except for compatibility issue with the sound system software. I just hope that its lifespan will extent up to 10 years.


I have taken some precautionary measures to make sure my asus f80s is not overheating:

1. Avoid 'High Performance' mode unless when you really need it. (I have monitored the temperature. Changing from 'battery saving' mode to 'high performance' will increase the temperature about +10 C)



2. Always use 'battery saving' mode whenever possible



3. Cooling pad is useful to reduce temp for about 2-3 C. I use Cooler Master



4. Use sleep mode instead of leaving it idle if you don’t plan to shut down

No comments:

Post a Comment